BORN NEWARK, NOTTS 1893. ELDEST SON OF GEORGE WILLIAM BULMAN (1868-1916) & MINNIE BAGGELEY (1872-). HIS SIBLINGS WERE WILLIAM, ALBERT, STANLEY & RUBY WHO LIVED AT 18 PRIOR STREET, HULL. SON OF A LABOURER. HE WAS UNMARRIED, WORKED IN HULL’S SAWMILLS AND LIVED 28 RAIKES STREET, DRYPOOL, HULL (ARMY RECORDS ADDRESS). DESCRIBED AS 5 FOOT, 6 INCHES TALL, 37-39 INCH CHEST, 144 LBS WEIGHT.
A RESERVIST. HE ENLISTED IN HULL, ON 06/11/1915. SERVED WITH THE HULL PALS. APPOINTED TO LANCE CORPORAL, ON 31/07/1915. ARRIVED IN FRANCE, ON 15/04/1916. PROMOTED TO CORPORAL, ON 21/12/1916. KILLED AT OPPY WOOD, ON 03/05/1917. COMMEMORATED ON THE ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING. HIS ARMY EFFECTS WENT TO HIS WIDOWED MOTHER, MINNIE. HIS DEATH WAS REPORTED IN THE HULL DAILY MAIL, ON 22/06/1917.
The attack on Oppy Wood, part of the Battle of Arras, was a significant battle for the East Yorkshire Regiment and particularly for the city of Hull. All four Hull Pals battalions were involved on 3 May and all suffered heavy casualties, with 40% of those present killed or injured. 2nd Lieutenant Jack Harrison, a local teacher and rugby player with Hull FC, won a posthumous Victoria Cross for his bravery in rushing a machine gun position to protect his platoon. His body was never found.
The village of Oppy in France had been in German hands since October 1914 and was part of a formidable defensive system including trenches, dug-outs and thick barbed wire defences. During the Battle of Arras, which began in April 1917, the British tried to take Oppy. The first attack was a failure. A second attack was partially successful. The third attack on 3 May, known officially as the Third Battle of the Scarpe, was again unsuccessful with significant loss of life. The troops were ordered to attack at 3.45am, rather than at dawn, and the defending Germans could easily see the line of British soldiers clearly lit by the full moon. The British continued to attack Oppy and were finally successful the following year. The City of Hull Memorial at Oppy was unveiled in 1927 and commemorates the men of the Hull Pals who were killed on 3 and 4 May 1917.