BORN HULL 1896. SON OF JOHN BENJAMIN NEWLOVE (1864-1934) & ISABELLA CURLING (1868-1928), OF 14 RIPON GROVE, BRUNSWICK AVENUE, HULL. HE HAD FIVE BROTHERS AND TWO SISTERS. THE FAMILY ALSO LIVED AT 67 RODNEY STREET AND 23 GROSVENOR STREET, HULL. A SINGLE MAN. DESCRIBED HAS 5 FOOT, 6 INCHES TALL, 32-34 INCH CHEST, BLACK HAIR, BLUE EYES, GOOD VISION, ROMAN CATHOLIC RELIGION. HE WORKED AS A CLERK FOR BLUNDELLS & SPENCE COMPANY. JOINED THE 1/4TH EYR TERRITORIALS, ON 30/01/1912. MOBILIZED FOR SERVICE ON 05/08/1914. SERVED IN EGYPT AND POSTED TO FRANCE ON 17/04/1915. HE WAS KILLED IN ACTION, AT YPRES, TWO WEEKS LATER, ON 02/05/1915, AGED 19. HE HAD SERVED IN THE ARMY FOR 3 YEARS AND 93 DAYS. HIS ARMY EFFECTS WERE RETURNED TO HIS FATHER. HIS NAME IS LISTED ON ST CHARLES’ CHURCH MEMORIAL. HIS DEATH WAS REPORTED IN THE HULL TIMES, ON 19/06/1915, WITH HIS PHOTOGRAPH. * HIS BROTHER, GEORGE (2ND NORTHUMBRIAN, RFA) WAS SERVING IN FRANCE AT THE TIME OF HIS DEATH. HE SURVIVED THE WAR AND BECOME A PUBLICAN. HIS OTHER BROTHER, JAMES (1890-1949), SERVED IN THE 146TH HULL HEAVY BATTERY, RFA, WAS INVALIDED WITH SHELL SHOCK, ON 14/11/1917 AND DISCHARGED, ON 06/11/1918. HIS OTHER BROTHER, JOSEPH HAROLD NEWLOVE, SERVED IN THE ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY.
1/4th Battalion – The Northumbrian Division became part of Central Force in Home Defence, tasked with manning the Tyne Defences, so after some days digging trenches in South Holderness 4th East Yorkshires moved to Hummersknott Park, near Darlington to join the York & Durham Brigade. In mid-October it moved again, to Newcastle upon Tyne. It was not until November that the Home Service and unfit men were separated into the 2/4th Battalion, and that battalion’s staff returned to Londesborough Barracks to begin training the recruits
While working on the Tyne Defences, the Northumbrian Division was also undergoing battle training. In April 1915 it was warned for overseas service with the British Expeditionary Force (BEF), and on 16 April its units began to entrain for the embarkation ports. 1/4th East Yorkshires landed at Boulogne the following day.
Second Battle of Ypres – The Northumbrian Division completed its concentration in the Steenvoorde area on 23 April, and went into action the very next day during the Second Battle of Ypres. The York and Durham Brigade went by motor bus to Poperinghe, where they debussed and marched to camp at Vlamertinghe. They were turned out at 01.00 on 24 April and marched to take over trenches astride the Yser Canal, where they came under shellfire at first light, 1/4th East Yorkshires losing their first casualties of the war. During the morning the battalion was shifted again, to a position near Potijze Château, where they dug in again. Meanwhile, the Canadian Division were coming under heavy pressure (the beginning of the Battle of St Julien). Finally, at 15.00 the tired battalion was ordered out to support a counter-attack by the Canadians and the 1/4th Green Howards of the York & Durham Bde (the Canadians were not informed of these two battalions’ involvement). The battalion moved up into a small wood and waited alongside the Canadian artillery under shellfire while the attack developed. Shortly after 17.00 the battalion was ordered to attack towards St Julien and advanced in ‘artillery formation’, with two platoons of D Company in front, led by Lt-Col Shaw. On reaching Bridge House the battalion swung north towards St Julien; it now came under heavy rifle and machine gun fire and was swept by Shrapnel shells and heavy howitzer shells. Eye-witnesses described the tired and hungry battalion behaving ‘as if they were doing an attack practice in peace’. At 950 yards (870 m) and again at 500 yards (460 m) the men opened rifle fire on the enemy, with little apparent effect. Coming upon a road the battalion could advance no further against the hostile fire, and took cover. Lieutenant-Colonel Shaw had been killed by a rifle bullet during the advance, and the CO of the Green Howards took over both battalions. The East Yorkshires were ordered to stay where they were until nightfall; they saw no sign of the Canadians who were supposed to be in St Julien, but their rifle fire combined with the Canadian artillery broke up a German attack from the village, and neither side held it at the end of the day. 1/4th East Yorkshires was permitted to withdraw after dark; in its first action the battalion had lost three officers and 12 other ranks killed, 66 wounded and 17 missing, of whom 10 were known to be wounded. Next morning the 1/4th Bn took over some support trenches in the ‘GHQ Line’, where it was shelled all day, before being withdrawn during the night to march through the ruins of Ypres to a rest camp west of the town. Two days later they went back into the line, supporting 4th Division in a succession of poor trenches under intermittent shellfire. The Battle of St Julien continued for several more days, with the Ypres Salient becoming an increasingly dangerous position. On 2 and 3 May the Northumbrian Division was involved in a general withdrawal to a more defensible line. On 4 May the battalion settled into bivouacs near Steenvoorde, having suffered 33 killed and 58 wounded since 1 May.