BORN HULL 1883. SON OF JOHN & SIREMA BURTON. ENLISTED BRIEFLY IN THE LONDON REGIMENT IN 1908. DESERTED IN 1909. A WAREHOUSEMAN IN CIVILIAN LIFE. HE SERVED AT SEA DURING THE WAR. COMMEMORATED ON THE TOWER HILL NAVAL MEMORIAL, LONDON.
CALYPSO SS was a 2,876grt British Merchant ship built in 1904 by Earle’s Sb. & Eng. Co., Ltd., Hull and owned by T. Wilson, Sons & Co., Ltd., Hull . There was accommodation for 57-1st, 44-2nd and 863-3rd class passengers. Taken up by the Admiralty in November 1914, she was renamed HMS Calyx and armed with 8 x 4.7inch and 2 x 3pounder guns. She served with the 10th Cruiser Squadron until 26.6.1915 when she was returned to the Wilson Line. On the 10th July 1916, in the North Sea when about 15 miles west of Listafjorden, Norway she was torpedoed without warning and sunk by German submarine U-53 when on route from London for Christiania carrying a general cargo. 30 lives lost, including Master. Read more at wrecksite: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?12598