BORN HULL 15/02/1869. SON OF GEORGE MAPPLEBECK LAVERACK (1821-1890) AND MARY JANE RUDDIFORD (1824-1885). BROTHER TO ISSAC, WILLIAM, MARY AND HARRIET. HE MARRIED FRANCES EMMA RYMER (1869-1941), ON 04/05/1887, AGED 18. CHILDREN LIZZIE AND JESSIE. WORKED AS A GENERAL LABOURER AND FOR 26 YEARS AS A MERCHANT SEAMAN WITH THE WILSON LINE. HE ENROLLED IN THE ROYAL NAVAL RESERVE, ON 20/04/1896. HE ENLISTED WHEN WAR BEGAN, ON THE 19/10/1914, IN HULL. SERVED AS A SHIP’S FIREMAN OF THE TRAWLER “ERIN II” FOR TWELVE MONTH. SUNK BY MINE OFF SPITHEAD, ON 19/10/1915. HE WAS FOUND TERRIBLY MANGLED AFTER THE MINE EXPLOSION. HE HAD BEEN MARRIED FOR 28 YEARS AND LEFT WIFE, FRANCES & DAUGHTER AT 9 LOUISA TERRACE, ST PAULS STREET, HULL, (CWGC ADDRESS). HIS NAME WAS LISTED ON MARY ELLEN’S TERRACE ROLL OF HONOUR,ST PUAL STREET, HULL. Hull Daily Mail 03 October 1916
HIS DEATH WAS REPORTED IN THE HULL DAILY MAIL ON THE 10TH & 13TH NOVEMBER 1916 WITH HIS PHOTOGRAPH. *
HMT Erin II, built by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley in 1903 and operated at the time of her loss by Royal Navy, was a British navy trawler of 181 tons. On October 19th, 1915, HMT Erin II was sunk by a mine from the German submarine UC-5 (Herbert Pustkuchen), off the Nab lightvessel. 7 persons were lost.
1. CAMPBELL, DONALD (31), Deck Hand (no. 390/SD), HMT Erin II, Royal Naval Reserve, †19/10/1915, Son of John and Flora Campbell, of 27, Geary, Waternish, Portree, Skye, Memorial: Haslar Royal Naval Cemetery
2. HEWSON, WILLIAM , Engineman (no. 638ES), HMT Erin II, Royal Naval Reserve, †19/10/1915, Memorial: Chatham Naval Memorial
3. JAMIESON, ROBERT GLEGG (47), Engineman (no. 741ES), HMT Erin II, Royal Naval Reserve, †19/10/1915, Husband of Catherine Jamieson, of 22, Stafford St., Aberdeen, Memorial: Portsmouth Naval Memorial
4. LAVERACK, ALFRED , Trimmer (no. 863TS), HMT Erin II, Royal Naval Reserve, †19/10/1915, Memorial: Chatham Naval Memorial
5. PAYNE, ARTHUR HENRY (18), Trimmer (no. 880TS), HMT Erin II, Royal Naval Reserve, †19/10/1915, Son of Richard Arthur Payne, of 18, Massey St., St. George’s Rd., Hessle Rd., Hull, Memorial: Chatham Naval Memorial
6. SHERWOOD, WALTER , Second Hand (no. 474SA), HMT Erin II, Royal Naval Reserve, †19/10/1915, Memorial: Chatham Naval Memorial.